Ok ok, I've fallen pretty far behind. I'm doing my best to make it up. The day before new years eve, I went up to Brooklyn to spend new years with Wengert. I was stubborn and over confident with my GPS and my almost knowledge of new york so I drove instead of taking the train up. Also, I didn't feel safe leaving my car at a train station.
I got a few texts the night before I left for Brooklyn.
Wengert: What kind of car do you drive?
Me: You know what kind of car I drive. PT Cruiser.
Wengert: Right. I just forgot the name. You have an alarm, right?
Me: Christ Wengert is my car going to get stolen??
Wengert: Nah its ok, my roommate has a gun.
His roommate is a cop. He thought I was freaking out because of his gun toting roommate. He didn't understand that actually, I was freaking out because the answer to "will my car be stolen?" was "No, we're armed."
The drive wasn't so bad. I didn't have to take the GWB or the Lincoln tunnel. I took the Holland tunnel and the Manhattan bridge. Apparently his apartment is closer to that than the Brooklyn bridge. I'm not too proud that I can't admit I don't really know my way around up there. When I would visit Amy, she'd always be waiting somewhere just outside of the Lincoln tunnel, then I'd pull over and we'd do a quick switch and she'd drive us to Queens. From there we'd take the subway all weekend with the occasional cab.
I'm convinced someone will break into my car and take my shit. Always. Because of this, I've never mounted my GPS. This was stupid of me. Had I had it mounted I probably wouldn't have missed route 1-9 an I wouldn't have gotten lost and stuck in new years traffic. Boo. My GPS saved the day, though. I love technology.
I got to Wengert's street safe and sound. I had no idea which house was his though. I got him on the phone and made him come find me and park my car. He stuck out like a sore thumb. A goofy white kid with his hollister hat, shorts, and flip flops in Brooklyn in December. Still, pretty good to see him :)
So he parked my car and we went up to his place. His block reminds me of Manayunk. His apartment looks like it was build probably in the 50s. I was expecting this old dilapidated brownstone with high ceilings and hardwood floors. It was a lot nicer and more modern than I expected. New carpets, lots of space (except in the kitchen). Not your standard nasty bachelor pad.
We slept in new years eve day then went to the city for lunch. It was a comfort to see wengert getting around ok on the subway. I mean, I know he's capable of taking care of himself, but I still worry about him. We had lunch at this small place in little italy. I had delicious eggplant parm that I now realize I've forgotten in his fridge. As we were sitting there he asked if I ever thought we'd wind up having lunch together in lower manhattan. Ha, we have come a long way.
We didn't want to stay in the city too late for obvious reasons. So after lunch we headed back to Brooklyn. He decided to make jambalaya for dinner so we stopped at this tiny market right by the train. I had fun making dinner with him even though it made me realize how kitchen incompetent I am. It went from "can you chop the onions?" to "can you peel the onions?" to "can you open the cans of broth?" haha. I refuse to feel too bad about myself because I can bake, and I rock making breakfast.
From then out we just chilled. We played some guitar hero which I'm sure he loved because he's better at it than me. Then we watched random live new years coverage and drank champagne out of coffee cups. It was nice just being there with him. Not talking on the phone with him. We stayed up late hanging out and watching movies then fell asleep listing to some psycho scream at her... boyfriend? Neighbor? Someone who needed to fuck off, apparently.
I left early the next morning. The street cleaners were coming at 9. I think. No one knew if they would be sweeping the streets on new years day but given my luck with parking violations, I wasn't chancing it. I was out of there by 8:30. It was freezing but at least getting out of Brooklyn was easier than getting in. I mounted my GPS and got home in about two hours and change. Abby and I promptly took a nap.
I'm back at IUP now. I left Friday morning to make Johnstown rehearsal that night. I'm heading back east one more time before school starts. Being here is bumming me out a lot. I just feel so alone out here. I miss my friends a lot. It seems like this town is haunted with happier memories. I'm just ready to be done here. I know I'll miss playing and ensembles and walking to the bar....... the standard college music major perks. I'm just ready to move on.
Anyway. Here's some pictures.


The chicken for the jambalaya was heart shaped. Love, via chicken heart.


No comments:
Post a Comment