Thursday, January 15, 2009

Day Sixty Seven

I wasn't able to update yesterday. I was trapped in Johnstown. We had rehearsal last night. Since western Pennsylvania has a strict "own the snow plows but don't ever use them" policy (sort of like people who never take the plastic off their couches... why spend extra for fancy upholstery if you only ever feel the plastic covering it?), the roads were absolutely not drivable. It was freaking awful. Piffle told me when I got to rehearsal that it was only going to get worse, but I refused to give up hope. Until rehearsal ended and I saw the mess outside. I took this picture around 8am when I got back to IUP (I left Johnstown a little before 7). This is the standard of what every road looks like until the snow melts. Notice how you can see NO pavement? Just matted down snow?

Remember when snow was exciting? I think the difference is the conditions of the roads and having to drive on them. A band dad over heard me lamenting about missing south eastern PA, especially when it starts snowing. He said something about how, "none of them know how to drive in this stuff out there."

Correct. Because we USE OUR SNOW PLOWS! AND SALT! I seriously don't get it. I've got a friend back home right now who's bummed because he hasn't had an opportunity to use HIS snow plow. People buy them and put them on the front of their trucks back home, then plow their town for fun. I'd love to know how much the municipal workers out here make, and how little work they do. 

I mean, I understand refusing to upgrade to certain technologies. Don't want a cell phone or an ipod? Yeah, I get that. I mean, I'm addicted to both my cell phone and my ipod, but that's beside the point. Not plowing the roads? And taking pride in your ability to drive through Antarctica? Right that's like saying "Headlights? Why would I use my headlights? I don't need lights when I'm out walking around at night, why would I use them in my car?"

These roads aren't safe. I'd love some knuckle dragging neanderthal to explain to me why they don't clear the roads, and why it makes sense not to when the tools are available. It hasn't ever mattered to me before because I rarely drive more than a half mile at a time, and when it's bad, I walk. However now that I have to drive to Johnstown three times a week... yeah this blows. I pout and fume for the entire two hours it takes for me to drive the 40 some miles it takes to get to johnstown in the snow.

Anyway. Last night I stayed at Piffle's. In his house that he owns. These friends and their grown up lives... It was fun though. A welcomed change of pace. Also, anytime I get to watch a pittsburgh sports team eat it is a good night (sorry friends). 

No comments: