Sunday, March 15, 2009

Day Ninety Seven


IUP hosted the jr. high honors band festival. I was there for the free hour I had that day "hovering", which is a music education term that means "young percussion sections need a ton of guidance that takes up time that a conductor doesn't have, so please go help." Did that sound arrogant? It's not supposed to. It's just something to help rehearsals go smoothly. There's a ton of stuff to play in the percussion section and a ton of ways to play it wrong. having someone back there to help out gives the conductor time to focus on other things that need their attention. Like tuning. Like oh my god tuning. Haha. They were actually pretty good. There was one little kid who looked like a slightly more grown up Aaron Kingan. There was one socially awkward girl who kept reassuring me she didn't suck, she just had really lame parts. In her defense, it was true. Poor girl played suspended cymbal like, all day. 

I think the first day is what keeps teachers coming back. The kids are so eager to get started and you feel like you've got a million things to do, in an exciting way that isn't overwhelming. I wish I could have hung out with them longer but I had Johnstown rehearsal to get to. The show on Saturday was ok. We finally put everything out on the floor, which was a bigger relief than I was expecting. We had a lot of down time so me and piffle got to just sit around in the auditorium and talk. I haven't just hung out and caught up with him in a long time, even though I see him three times a week. It was nice. This weekend we're recording at IUP and watching Teeth. Google it. It's as horrible as it sounds.

No comments: