This is my percussion locker. Of course. It doesn't suck. Everyone in the studio has lockers (mostly). This one was occupied my freshman year, but after Ashley graduated, I jumped on it.Tonight was funny. We have our concerts across campus (not in the music building where we keep all our equipment). So when we have concerts, we have to move all our stuff. Not fun. To save time the day of the move, we pack the night before. Meaning, we get all the stuff we need ready and put it in a pile in the middle of the perc ensemble room.
We have a big storage closet in the basement where we keep all of our cases that we need for moves. Have you ever seen a marimba case? Have you ever seen a bass marimba case? I'm wishing now I'd taken a picture of it.... the thing is huge. Thankfully, Cogswell has a pretty large elevator to make tasks like moving gigantic marimba cases from the basement to the first floor pretty easy.
That is unless some giant toolbag tried to open the elevator doors in-between floors. I hate people. I hope that jack ass was trapped in the elevator for HOURS. We do have a second elevator in cogswell but it's too small to handle our business. So we had to carry it. What a debacle! The thing is huge. The stairwell is not. We got it up the stairs (remember that scene in friends where they're trying to move that couch up that tiny new york stairwell? it was like that). ONLY TO FIND OUT the stupid thing wouldn't fit through the doorway. Thankfully, our friends Roger and Leroy were there to save the day. They helped us out a TON by taking the door off the hinges for us. Sounds like a simple task but it's one of those huge heavy ass metal doors. No fun at all. They're good to us.
We had rehearsal for Vespertine after the pack. Every week I'm reminded how difficult that piece is. I had a pretty cool moment tonight though. I looked at the music and realized that two years ago it would have been the kind of piece I'd look at for a second then immediately disregard as "way too freaking hard" and move on to something else. Hooray for improvement. This was an intensity (the name of our percussion chamber ensemble since 'percussion chamber ensemble' sounds pretty weak) piece from a while back. Every time we play it I think of Guz and Wengert and how much I miss them both. And of course Andrew. It's crazy how little time it can take for people to become so important to you.
Anyway I gotta get my ass to bed. That move tomorrow? Starts at 8am. And will probably go until... rough estimate? The end of time. I'm thinking.

No comments:
Post a Comment